The delightful Danube sets the stage for this incredible journey as you sail through beautiful scenery and quaint towns. Begin in Budapest, Hungary, with two overnights and guided sightseeing. Enjoy Hungarian cuisine, explore its famous produce market - Central Market Hall, wander around the former royal palace grounds, explore its famous churches, or visit one of the many museums. Then, board your river cruise vessel and sail westward, with guided sightseeing in magical Vienna, Passau, and medieval Regensburg. Also take a guided walk in the charming town of Dürnstein and see the baroque Stiftskirche, and visit the awe-inspiring Benedictine Abbey in Melk. Enjoy wine tasting in Melk and beer tasting in fascinating Regensburg. Disembark your ship and travel to the "Golden City" of Prague for a final three overnights, guided sightseeing, and plenty of free time to discover the Hradcany Castle grounds, wander through Prague's Jewish Quarter, shop for hand-cut crystal, savor authentic Czech dumplings, stand in the square where protestors demonstrated against Communism, or visit one of the many churches. All of this and more await you on this marvelous vacation!
Highlights & Sightseeing
Cruise: deluxe 7-night cruise in an outside stateroom with Avalon's exclusive Comfort Collection BedsSM
Day 1 Budapest, Hungary: welcome to Budapest!
Day 2 Budapest: guided sightseeing, see Fishermen's Bastion and Heroes' Square
Day 3 Budapest (Embarkation): onboard welcome reception
Day 4 Budapest - Vienna: cruising
Day 5 Vienna: guided sightseeing
Day 6 Dürnstein - Melk: guided walk in Dürnstein, see the Stiftskirche; guided visit of the Benedictine Abbey and wine tasting in Melk
Day 7 Passau: guided walk
Day 8 Regensburg: guided walk; enjoy a snack at the Historische Wurstküche; beer tasting
Day 9 Roth - Nuremberg: choice of guided sightseeing in Roth or Nuremberg Rally Grounds tour
Day 10 Nuremberg (Disembarkation)"Prague: travel to Prague
Days 11-12 Prague: guided sightseeing, see the Astronomical Clock and visit Hradcany Castle grounds; free time
Day 13 Prague: your vacation ends this morning
Buffet breakfast in Budapest and Prague; superb dining with meals on board featuring full breakfast with complimentary sparkling wine, lunch with complimentary soft drinks, and dinner including complimentary wine, beer, or soft drinks; a welcome reception, Captain's reception, and farewell dinner; one sitting with open seating arrangements
- Departure November 9 is offered as an exclusive Beer Tasting Cruise, including special features at no additional cost. A visit to Europe is enhanced when it includes a discovery of the regional beers! Enjoy onboard tastings, visit historic breweries, and learn about European beer-brewing techniques during fascinating onboard lectures. Prost!
- Departures October 30, November 2 and 5 are offered as an exclusive Wine Appreciation Cruise, including special lectures and tastings at no additional cost. Your palate will applaud as you learn what to look for in a good wine. A distinguished wine authority will teach you the ropes as you visit a wine village and attend tastings to test your newfound talent.
- Due to closure of the Main Danube Canal, departure April 20 will disembark the ship in Regensburg with modifications to the itinerary.
- In the event of water level problems or any problems of a technical nature, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or to alter the program.
- Included visits and special features are subject to change. If a change is necessary, a substitute will be offered.
- Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.